[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
VOG Network • View topic - Is Final Fantsay VII Overrated?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:14 pm 

This is a largely controversial question in most of the gaming communities out there, but i wanted to know what the Voggies thought of it. (probably will be spoilers)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:39 am 

Final Fantasy 7 will never be overrated. How dare you even ask.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 am 

I may be in the minority here, but I definitely think that FFVII is overrated.
Actually... I think that FF in general is overrated.

7 was good... don't get me wrong. But 6 was the pinnacle of the FF series and since it first debuted on the PS2, the series has gone down hill fast IMO.
I maxed out the clock in FFVII. Got the Gold Chocobo and fought the end-game weapons. It was definitely a good game. And it broke new ground when it came to things like Summons and that type of graphical advancement in that era. But many put it on a pedestal that is much higher than it should be. There are other games of that era that were better games and I would rather seem a remake of.
Panzer Dragoon Saga for instance. Of course... chances of getting that are slim to none since they would literally have to build the game again from the ground up since they "lost" the code.
I haven't actually played this one (shame on me) but from what I hear, many thought Legend of Dragoon was a better game as well.

That said I think that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross were a better games from Square than any of the FFs.

And even more hatred will be directed at me after I say this.
FF is often looked upon as the best of the 8 and 16 bit era when it comes to RPGs, but for me...
The original Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System kills any other 8-bit RPG and similarly Phantasy Star IV on Genesis/Mega-Drive kills any other 16-bit RPG.
Phantasy Star II, though a good game, isn't as good as other 16-bit RPGs like Chrono or the FFs in that era, and Phantasy Star III was just a bomb, but IV was just a fantastic game and, IMO, the best RPG pre-PS1.

It's always going to be a matter of opinion, but to me... FFVII, while great and quite a display of advancement at the time, is overrated and likely wouldn't even fall in my top 10 RPGs of all time if I ranked them out.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 am 

While I also prefer Chrono Cross (hey it's my all time favorite game) to FFVII I still love VII a LOT. I don't think it's underrated at all. I think if it hadn't been such a great game, the FF series wouldn't have made a successful jump to more powerful consoles. They can't stay 16-bit forever...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm 

1, 7 and 8 are the only ones I've played to completion. At its time I think 7 was amazing. I don't think it holds up though, and there are better RPGs out now.

Steam: DigitalFirefly | Battletag: Firefly#1588 | FFXIV: Oculara Prime
Twitter: @digitalfirefly

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:29 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

I don't think VII is overrated. For it's time, it really ushered in the era of CD console gaming. Yes we can argue about earlier Playstation games, Sega CD, CD-ROM, CDi, whatever, but Final Fantasy VII in many ways is what pushed it mainstream and really showed the capabilities of what was possible- using the technology to add another layer of storytelling & emotion.

Has it aged well compared to the other 13 games in the series? Hmmm, I'd gather a lot of that is personal opinion and taste really. Bobby has often made the point on his own show that we tend to be most fond of the Final Fantasy games that were current when we were young. It's certianly a likely contributor to why I'm partial to VI and IV as my favorites in the whole series. If the internet had been mainstream when VII was out (it was really just starting to bud & grow at this time), we would have seen epic bitching of Mass Effect 3 style proportions about the ending. However, one thing VII did extrordinairly well, almost moreso than any other game in the series (although I'm sure some would want to argue), is character design. VII probably has more memorable characters than any other game in the series. Quick, off the top of your head, how many characters can you name from Final Fantasy 7? Okay how about Final Fantasy 12? ("The bunny chick" and "pirate dude" don't count) or 9? I'm sure a Final Fantasy fanatic can remember an equal amount of characters from all, but the more casual RPG player will probably have the strongest memories from 7. I'm sure someone will disagree :P

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 am 

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:08 am 

I couldn't tell you because I have a lot of good memories tied up in the game. I will never be able to look at it without some bit of nostalgia clouding my view. I was going to buy the PC version until I found out about SE's terrible 30-day download shit, and the Midi music. At least I can replace the music, but I refuse to pay for something I will lose a download to. Holding out for a Steam release, and until then I will spend my $10 on Jet Set Radio HD. :)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am 

I think its up there with zelda oot it was a totally new way to play a classic game series and since it was so open world for the time people loved to spend hours just exploring the world so it left a nice memory of the game.
For me now with retro games it's all nostalgia and better left in the past or you could end up wondering why you liked it so much.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am 

Honestly, I think that Final Fantasy VII was absolutely fantastic during its time. However it has not aged well by today's standards. Is it worth a remake? I really can't say, truth be told. What I can say is that a remake could very well be a risk for the memory of FF VII. It could make the game relevant for the new generation of gamers, but it could destroy the magic that made the game spectacular in its original form. If it ends up being the latter, there's a good chance that the opinions of the original game could be affected by it. This may cause the memory of FF VII to fade in time. It was an original unique game that none of us ever experienced before in the RPG genre, but there are so many of those games now-a-days. With that being said, I must conclude we can only live in the past for so long. Is it overrated? To those who have favorable nostalgic memories of the game, no. However, to those who are looking towards the future of the genre, it is a game that should be left in the past.

Last edited by Degenerate Johnny on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games