Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

Curious what you all think about one of the stories Jamie brought up on this weeks show regarding an exploit that allows you to play Game Boy Color ROMS on 3DS Virtual Console via said exploit: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/01/e ... -boy-roms/

Note that I don't condone this or say it's okay, but at the same time, you know what we say on OLR... Haters gonna hate, and hackers gonna hack. And I suppose this means Pirates gonna Pirate as well. Many of you have probably tried out a ROM at some point in your life. Honestly some emulators are even kind of impressive with the different graphics features they offer and sometimes there are features like Online play... even though these work questionably well.

I guess this is why it's frustrating for me as someone who really roots for Nintendo to see them not able to implement some of these things that hobbyist coders do with some of the emlulators out there on PC. I think it would be less attractive to use these ROM exploits, if the five dollars you spent on something like Mario Bros (not SUPER Mario Bros... original ol school arcade Mario Bros) could be playable on the internet with a friend. After all, Mario Bros was one of those first games where you could really decide to help or hurt a friend that you were playing with. It's probably why there have been versions of it included with games like Super Mario 3, Super Mario Advance, etc. etc. Or what if there were achievements? For some of the harder things to do in the game like ummm beat stage 5 or later without using the POW block or let all the platforms turn to ice before you beat a stage.

Maybe I'm just being that whiney gamer that's never satisfied, but if Nintendo could just dedicate a small team to really enhancing the virtual console experience, it would make piracy of basic ol' ROMs a lot less lucrative, no?

What are your thoughts? I'm especially curious if anyone has tried the exploit and why you did it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio