Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » TV & Movies

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: PSN's Video Store
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 am 

For those of you who may or may not know, PSN (depending on what territory you're in) has a video store, just like the game side of the store. Now, in case you're considering getting some stuff from there, there's some info you should have. Hopefully this info will help prevent any potential confusion and/or headaches.

1) The video store works a tad bit differently than the game side of the store. While the game side maintains a download list of purchased stuff well after the stuff was purchased & downloaded, the video side doesn't. Once purchased then downloaded, it disappears from your list, so generally speaking, you really can't redownload stuff.

2) The videos have DRM that's tied to your specific PS3 & the internal PS3's HDD that was in the system when you initially bought/downloaded the video, so you cannot transfer the video to another PS3 or swap out HDDs. However, you can temporarily offload/archive videos to an external HDD or thumb drive to free up space on your internal HDD. Bear in mind that if you want to watch the video, it must be played from the internal HDD.

3) Once you have bought & downloaded videos, it's a very bad idea to reformat your HDD or use the "Restore Default Sttings" function under Options on the XMB, even if you had backed up the videos. Doing so will foul up the DRM & render the videos unplayable

4) Under normal circumstances, you cannot redownload videos, HOWEVER under special circumstances (i.e. - you sent in your PS3 to Sony for repairs) they'll reauthorize the videos for download once you get your system back. You'll just have to call them, & if need be, pester them. Even then, you may not necessarily get them all back, especially if you have an obscene number of videos to begin with.

5) They do have some freebies on the service, just like iTunes & the Zuna Marketplace that serve as promotions, typically tv pilots or season premiers (they give away the 1st one with the hopes that you'd get hooked on the show & buy the rest of the season. They also have free movie trailers & (occaisionally) some behind-the-scenes stuff.

6) like any other online, they do have sales as well (i.e. - $5 movie sales, 1/2/ off on tv shows, etc.

7) Ultimately, I wouldn't recommend using this service, especially if you have an alternative (I'd suggest the Zune Marketplace). Reason being is that the DRM & SCEA's policies being so restrictive, it's so easily for the consumer to get burned by the service, especially if something goes wrong. Anyone who has been listening to OLR or to the Bobby Blackwolf Show for any length of time can tell you that I have had issues with the service in the past & have been burned myself. If you don't have an alternative & are a bit of a risk taker, then by all means, go ahead. Some itens can be difficult to find on disc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » TV & Movies