Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm 

I tweeted OLR about this on our last show, it's a pretty neat program for those that want to get into homebrew/indie game development!

Now I wouldn't expect something epic like Mass Effect or HALO from this editor, buuuuut if you're looking to make a simple fun retro 2D style game, this would be an excellent program to try.

There's a little teeny bit of programming involved, but if you couldn't wrap your head around programming in Unity, this one seemed to be a lot more user-friendly. It actually reminded me of the old Clickteam tools, Klik n Play and The Games Factory series, it was almost as easy to drag and drop, plug in what you want it to do with the objects, and boom! you got a working game.

Note that the first paid edition is $130 but the free version is a really good start, it'll at least let you publish your stuff online if you have a dropbox account. (you could also publish them through Scirra's website or via Kongregate, but Dropbox gave me the most success.)

Get the program from here: http://www.scirra.com/
There's also a link to a tutorial game, here's my version of it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/462 ... index.html

(I actually added a little bit more, like a title screen and sound effects, it was easy to figure out how to do it!)

I'm already in the process of writing another game, I'll likely share it with the VOG collective/OLRmy once its done (or at least has a demo)!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games