[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
VOG Network • View topic - OUYA making kickstarter records.
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:49 pm 

Now I didn't here about this thing till last Sunday on OLR and had no idea what to expect till I saw it online for myself and read through the Ouya's mission statement. I won't lie, as someone that has been very bored with today's modern gaming I have turned to Indie gaming a few years ago I am am rather excited at what is being offered to the gaming market here.

Anyways to the point of the topic, on July 10 the people behind the Ouya started a Kickstarter fundraiser to find out if their product would be excepted (as well as have starting funding to finance the project of course). Their goal was to gain $950,000 from July 10th - Aug 9th, 30 days. In around 6 hours of the Kickstarter being up they met their goal, in less then 16 hours they doubled it, and by the next day they have more then tripled their goal at nearly $3mil and still growing. It has broken the record of "best 1st kickstarter day", 1 of only 8 items to hit a mil, and at this rate could beat the current kickstarter record of most money raised.

This is a hug success for the Ouya team to say the least. It might as well be known that I myself am a supporter but to be honest I am surprised that I am not the only one (figuratively speaking of course). This is something in gaming that I have been actually hoping for a while now, but to see that others are embracing so full heartily is kind of uplifting.

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this. I am supplying the link to the Kickstarter for others to read about, I suggest at least reading through it to see what the hype is about, heck you might even like what you see.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
The Bobby Blackwolf Show

Today, Notch (Minecraft) distanced himself from the Ouya console. He said that yes, it's possible that Minecraft may appear on it in the future, but he admits that the current Android port is pretty crappy, so it's not a safe bet for launch. I'm kind of wondering why they heavily featured Minecraft in the promotional video when they didn't even get assurances that it would appear.

I guess it really was a "Hey, this is what we'd like to have!" type of thing.

I also noticed you never, ever see the left side of a completed controller. I imagine this has to deal with patents over D-Pads.

I like what the Ouya is saying on paper, but I am having a hard time putting down $99 right now for one. The project is massively overfunded, so my advice is to actually pull your money, and then wait for it to come out in retail to buy one at $99 after you're already assured of what you'll be getting. Right now, it's just idealistic promises, and one of the biggest ones seems to be unraveling. That's a red flag to me.

I hope I'm wrong. If I am, I'll be putting up my $99 to buy one at retail.

LIVE Sundays 8PM ET/5PM PT

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

I put $99 up, but that was back when I thought I was getting one of the last ones. Now I'm not so sure. I've got plenty of time to pull back. Thing is I almost don't care if it pans out as a gaming system. The hardware is neat enough to me. Could turn it into a little low power emulator/video streamer box.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:36 pm 

I'm with Bobby on this one. Until I see the product actually finished and on retail, I'll spring for one.
But now, I'm not sure if I can truly trust 100% that it will be even made.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

anyone that's listened to OLR for the past few months knows that I have a pretty big aversion to kickstarter and the mentality of "if you come, i will build it" as opposed to the "if you build it, they will come" way of thinking that I've always been used to. it's not that i hate everything on kickstarter because i don't, but in some ways i think it makes the process TOO easy. i'm not sure if that makes sense?

though there's a lot about it that sounds neat, i wonder if this project maybe hasn't taken off too fast. i mean, this isn't exactly nintendo or sony building it, it's a company with not so much experience. everything we've seen to date is a mock up... it hasn't had to face the public at E3 or anything. i'm kinda with bobby-- i'll feel a LOT better about it when it's on a store shelf. or even like, when engadget or ars technica or one of the bigger blogs i trust has gotten to play with one.

i think the "big guys" should be paying close attention to what's going on here, obviously there's a huge desire for something like this out in the market.

go back to the article elliot wrote on apple tv a few weeks ago... even though he guessed wrong... i think in many ways he guessed right. http://www.vognetwork.com/editorials/8/ ... e-console/ apple's kinda blown it by not beating OUYA to the punch but... it's not too late to take a big bite out of this.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:55 pm 

I think what could ultimately doom this even if it delivers on its promises is if a Steam box finally gets made. Even at twice the price I think the developers and users would flock to it as Valve has a proven track record and lots of money behind it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:05 am 

I cancelled my pledge. They have plenty of money, so if it's gonna happen it will happen, but I think they are way too optimistic. I don't think they're scammers, but they're naive. Look how long it took for OpenPandora to come out with almost $2 million raised. Putting words in Notch's mouth doesn't sound good either.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 am 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 am 

Yes but steam is a proven platform for both AAA and indie, which nobody else can really claim. If they can make an easy to use, fairly powerful console I think it does what anyone might want.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am 

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games