[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
VOG Network • View topic - The Bemani Issue (590)
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: The Bemani Issue (590)
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 am 
Orange Lounge Radio

Admittedly, I've been out of the loop on Bemani for a little while. Sacrilegious, perhaps considering the roots of the show. However also consider that our local IIDX machine came and went a couple months ago, and that without home versions being released anymore, I've been less and less the type to travel a great distance to arcades to check out the latest versions of these games.

This is why I totally loved that YYR did the segment for us by the way-- you can guarantee I'll be looking for more guest correspondent segments in the future! On a side note, something I think that separates us from a lot of "big budget" shows is that I, along with my co-hosts, can freely admit I don't have time to be an expert on every single game, every single news story and every single situation. This is why we need your voices and participation :)

Anyhow, this issue is so complex. I truly feel torn between the two sides.

* The Bemani enthusiasts just want to be able to play and support the game. Region locking should be left in the last decade. With the internet and the ability to instantly beam video from one end of the globe to the other, it's just not practical to think that we don't know darn well what we're missing out on in Japan. The players themselves would drop quarters in the machine whether that machine was 100% legit, pirated, legit but on a fake network, whatever! Gamers wanna game!!!

* On the other hand, everyone knew that the network that was made was shakey ground legally and could be shut down someday and here we are. Whereas maybe Konami never had an interest before in enforcing the rules, if you have this new partner, Round 1, coming into it saying they want to bring some of that arcade culture back, and they're gonna put the money into it, then well- money talks. Konami now has an interest between this company willing to pay them money, and these other people who are currently not paying them money.

* But back to the side of the enthusiasts, I think for many of them it's not that they don't WANT to pay them money, it's that they CAN'T because eAmuse isn't allowed outside Japan currently.

I think the best resolution, and from what I'm hearing one that even the enthusiasts can agree with is just get rid of the freakin region locking. Launch the eAmuse service globally, and that way any arcade owner over here, be it Round 1 or a mom and pop arcade in a smaller market, can get on board and do this legitimately. Realize that if Round 1 has some sort of agreement it might mean that arcades within 30-50 miles or so of a Round 1 can't do it but... at least players would have SOME place to play.

Anyhow, I know a lot of you out there are very passionate on this topic so please, express yourselves :)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 am 

I did hear that on their registration site for the eAmuse network, that you can register an account if you live in the US! (for whatever In addition to many other regions outside of Japan/Asia, there's like a whole bunch of countries listed. Personally I'm hoping that Round 1 will expand even further in the coming months and years, or at the very least this means that Konami will officially launch a worldwide version of the eAmuse network.

I do find it odd that we've had the Japanese/Korean/bootleg DDR machines in this country for almost the past 15 years or so and they just looked the other way, but NOW they take issue with it? I do really hope it has to do with them wanting to launch eAmuse over on this side of the world!

And one interesting note on the streaming video as far as region locking is concerned, YouTube DOES do that sometimes, I think mainly for certain music videos in other countries. But I don't think that makes your point any less valid. (since there's ways to get around that too, hello Hola Unblocker!)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:05 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:12 pm 

So basically, Konami's global e-Amusement service launched on the 19th. It looks more or less the same as before, but with the following changes:

- The site was semi-translated, a little. Most of the text is still in Japanese.
- You can now register a Konami ID in many more countries, including the USA (as DT noted above).

Annnnnnd that's it so far. Other than that, no changes or announcements. It appears that, for the moment, there is no change as far as the service actually being offered in more locations, but we'll see what happens in the days to come.

Rob, I really like your idea about the 30-50 mile radius. I think it's pretty damn fair...but if Round1 is currently paying to be exclusive, I don't know that their minds can be changed...

Anyway, the site where most current music gamers convene this days produced this:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 am 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio