Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm 

Inspired by your discussion of The Order and it's poor Metacritic score, what is your favorite game that scored a 74 or lower (that's yellow or red) despite the fact that you think it's plenty awesome anyways? I'm going to be greedy and pick two since I started the topic.

Right away I found Beyond Two Souls and it's score of 70. Now I know that's pretty close to the border, but since it qualifies, I have to say that I thought the game was amazing and was, in fact, in my top 5 games played for the year it came out. I think it shares a lot of the same criticisms of The Order in that it doesn't have massive replay value and isn't terribly long. Still I loved my experience, especially the great acting and story, and I'm sad that its failure means it probably won't get the rumored PS4 port that would give me an excuse to play it again.

Lastly, I want to mention Game and Wario for Wii U which got an even lower 61, and is closer to red territory than green. I love it. I think it should be at least a 75 for the multiplayer games alone, especially sketch which is basically Wii U pictionary and worth the price by itself. The main game is fun too, with everything I expect from a Wario Ware game.

So which favorite games of yours has Metacritic banished to the land of red and yellow?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

Great Topic!!

I am going to pull a Flaco and give two answers:

White Knight Chronicles - a PS3 RPG by Level 5 (Fantasy Life, Ni No Kuni) that the critcs didn't really seem to care for, (64 metacritic, the sequel which included the original had even lower, a 60). I thought there was a pretty impressive amount of complexity to the game, which even featured online modes (servers have since been shut down R.I.P.) and had a lot of value for what they were asking for for the game, especially when you consider that sequel that was really both games. (It's included because you really have to play the original to have a save file with characters at the appropriate level... the sequel will start you at a higher level but it's not enough... kinda like .hack)

Every Extend Extra - Okay it's a 74 so like right on the line but I love this game!! A highlight of the PSP. A lot of music games which I tend to love even some of the bad ones would probably qualify for this post.

I'm certain over the years I've had that game on OLR where I'm like "I played this this week and I don't know why, the game isn't that great but I played it anyway" lol... sometimes a game just grabs you in an inexplicable way.

As an aside, I tried to look up Microsoft Game Room which I thought for sure would qualify for this post, but it looks like it has no Metacritic ranking. Either I'm looking for the wrong search terms or because it was other games in a package it didn't qualify.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm 
Critical Myth

Not to be overly predictable, but the 72 for Assassin's Creed Rogue is a travesty!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio