Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Modding & DoA5 (586)
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:46 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

So the pleas from Dead or Alive V producer Yosuke Hayashi asking "PC users to play [their] game in good moral and manner. Otherwise, [they] won’t be able to release a title for PC again" understandably had a lot of people talking this week. Sadly for Hayashi, a lot of that talk centered around how silly the request seemed. What is it we say on the show all the time? Hackers gonna hack. This also means that Pirates gonna Pirate, and yes, Modders gonna Mod. As I also said on the show, I kind of believe this comment has a Streisand Effect of sorts, where boobie mods were probably going to exist for DoA V, but these comments now make it a race to who can finish said mods first. After all, with games journalism being the way that it is, I'm sure your K----- and P------ type websites will be making such boobie mods a headline, you know, as a followup to Mr. Hayashi's remarks.

I thought the idea was very interesting, that was brought up on the show, that this was all a publicity stunt. It's sort of like... creating your own Streisand effect to increase sales. Although I find this perspective interesting, I'm not sure I buy that as the case of what is going on here. These comments were made in an interview and this is a case of one sentence from one big interview getting copy and pasted into headlines everywhere. I think something calculated would have felt more calculated, like a press release from Tecmo or something that shows more planning.

The thing that strikes me as a bit silly though are the threats of never being able to release another PC game if this game gets taken to an unethical place. Come on, we all know that SALES are the bottom line. If the game sells really well on PC, it doesn't matter how many boobies and dongs get modded into the game, they'll do it again to sell more PC copies. If the game doesn't sell well, well, I sure hope the mod thing doesn't get used as a scapegoat... but it might.

What do you guys think on this issue... is this a calculated PR move, or the passionate please of a producer who doesn't want to see his game, however titilating it might be, "shit on" for lack of a better term by mods?

I'm also really curious to know-- was anyone planning on buying Dead or Alive V before this news broke, and did this particular headline sway your decision one way or the other?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Orange Lounge Radio