WEDNESDAY - (Show #737) - The Return of the Thunder Down Under: Part II

The genre news for 11-17 Sep 2016

FRIDAY - - (Show #738) - The Return of the Thunder Down Under: Part III

Covering the bottom show of the week ending 13 Sep 2016:
1) Masters of Sex 4.01: "Freefall"

Covering the top show of the week ending 13 Sep 2016:
1) The Last Ship 3.13: "Don't Look Back"

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:00 pm 

End of Summer Report Card; the second half of the summer wasn’t quite as good as the first half when it comes to first run films. However thanks to two classic cinematic features that returned to the big screen for a day the second half of the summer film season broke even for me.

A+ ‘Star Trek Beyond’ what a freaking awesome movie. Trek has definitely given Civil War a run for its money as far as best film for the summer and the year so far. It was quite refreshing to finally have a film about Star Trek that understands what classic Star Trek is. If this is where my relationship ends with Trek then it’s great to go out on a high note.

D ‘Suicide Squad’ this was the first of two films this summer that I went into with an open mind. I haven’t really liked the DC films so far but want to give this film a fair chance. While I’m still a big fan of the comic book and the DCW’s version on Arrow I am not impressed by this film. It was felt comparable to Spiderman 3 in that it’s obvious it’s the composite of two different visions, that of the director and that of the studio. Just as Spidey 3 would have been better without Venom being shoehorned into it that same can be said for the Joker. I saw no real purpose behind having the character in this film as far as the greater story. I think that time could’ve been spent giving us more character development on the entire team. If Squad was just a straightforward action film it would have some entertainment value. However as a building block for a shared universe it only furthers to weaken the foundation.

A ‘Bad Moms’ and now for something completely different. I’m sure that all the Sci-Fi summer roller coaster films I’ve seen this year this may seem out of place, as Dennis Nedry once said though after so many sweets I need something salty. Of course he was eaten by a dinosaur, hopefully that won’t happen to me. ‘Bad Moms’ though was a great break for me though because as a parent I’ve had to deal with maniacal militant PTA moms on more than one occasion. The funniest part of the film is how accurate the portrayals of the PTA leaders were. If you don’t have a kid you would believe what you saw was for comedic performance only but know those Moms can get that crazy.

A+ ‘Alien’ Thank you Colonial Theater in Phoenixville PA for giving me an opportunity to see a favorite Sci-Fi film on the big screen showing for the first time. Being only six when this film was first released I was not allowed to see the film in its first run despite the fact that my parents bought me the twelve inch action figure for it. And while this theater is a hundred miles from my home it was well worth the trip. The effects hold up very well seeing the Nostromo pass by on the big screen was just amazing. The sound effects were also phenomenal I was able to hear a lot more of the sound effects in the theater that I’ve never detected on my own television. The story of course never gets old and Sigourney Weaver is still the best final girl I’ve ever seen.

F ‘Ghostbusters’ My wife and I went into this film wanting to like it. We’re both big fans of the original film and while we were disappointed it wasn’t a direct sequel we still were willing to give it a chance. Unfortunately we found ourselves looking at our watches every few minutes throughout the film. The actors while great individually just different have any chemistry with one another, the pacing seemed off and it was obvious that this film that takes place in New York wasn’t actually filmed in New York. Ironically the end credits contained unused clips that were all very funny. Had those scenes been included in the actual film it may have been a more enjoyable production.

B ‘Defending Your Life’ another classic film brought to the big screen thanks to the Colonial Theater. This was my wife’s pick for the summer. Honestly until now I’ve always avoided this film as it’s trailer has this Woody Allen style vibe to it despite the fact he has nothing to do with the film. If you’re unfamiliar with what a Woody Allen film is like then imagine a two hour long ‘Seinfeld’ that’s even more unfunny than usual. Surprisingly though I was wrong about ‘Defending Your Life’ I found it to be entertaining and I really enjoyed Meryl Streep’s performance. The funniest aspect of the film for me though, was that the main setting of Judgment City felt so much like Disney’s Epcot especially since I was just at Disney earlier in the summer.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:38 pm 

Hey SElliotFisher, just wanted to give you a quick shout out and thank you for your recommendations in NYC from a few months ago. I'm originally from Texas but moved to upstate NY a couple of years ago. Even though I've been to the Alamo Drafthouse in Yonkers (quite the magnificent theater chain in Texas; check it out if you can) and driven "around" NYC, I never actually went into and stayed in the city until about a month ago. Took the Amtrak down and was able to check out the Star Trek exhibit, visit the new Think Geek store as well as do many other touristy things in the City. Went again just this last weekend to check out even more things in the area including a visit to Midtown Comics.

So yes, thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming. I'm sure there's much to do down there, and it can be very difficult to keep up with it all without a little help!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:20 am 

Hey Danger Mouse I’m glad you enjoyed my suggestions for geek places to visit.

I found another one that slipped under my radar earlier this summer. Madame Tussaud's New York now has two major Ghostbusters attractions the “Ghostbusters Experience” and “Ghostbusters Dimension.” The first seems to be a interactive museum exhibit similar to what Discovery Time Square offers. The latter is a full on interactive virtual reality experience. I’ve yet to go myself but so far all my friends that belong to the ‘New York Ghostbusters’ have been big fans of both options.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Critical Myth