2) Mr. Robot 2.04: "eps2.2_init1.asec"
1) Killjoys 2.05: "Meet the Parents"

WEDNESDAY - (Show #727) - Time to Improvise: Part II

The rest of the episodic discussion
Listener feedback
Open Topics

FRIDAY - Encore show

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:05 pm 

A Midsummer report card - Okay so this is a little late on my part as work has been an unexpected distraction this summer. To me summer film season runs a little over a full four months from Free Comic Book Day until Labor Day. This year has definitely had far more movies I was interested in seeing then prior years which usually contained one or two super tent pole products that scared away any other serious contender. With that said I was able to get to four features for the first half of summer and hope to see four to five more in the second half. So here are my first four in order that I’ve seen them.

A+ ‘Captain America: Civil War’ this by far has been my favorite film of both the summer and year so far. Most third acts in a trilogy series usually fall flat but ‘Civil War’ manage to stay almost at the same level as ‘Winter Soldier.’ It may have helped that as a former heavy reader of Marvel Comics I knew and understood the back-story and motivation of most of the characters involved but having not read ‘Civil War’ or any recent big M.U. stories I didn’t come in with expectations about the plot. The airport battle perfectly captured the true spirit of comics (possibly for the first time). It felt more like I was reading an issue of Captain America then watching a film adaption of Captain America.

A ‘X-Men; Apocalypse’ Not quite a strong third act as ‘Civil War’ but a damn good film none the less. I really loved Jennifer Lawrence’s performance in this film as Mystic despite the director’s attempts to portray her more like Katniss. Despite this the final chapter in the prequel trilogy really felt like all three films were meant to be the story of Mystic as she struggles to find her own philosophy on the mutant question while engaged in a tug a war between Charles and Eric’s beliefs about the future of mutants.

A ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadow’ is by far the greatest tragedy of the summer box office. Although this film failed make back its cost domestically it is in actually most likely the best Turtles film ever made. As my adult son put it, it’s as if they went back and learned from everything they did wrong in prior films and actually fixed it. In many ways the latest installment in the franchise is a redux of ‘Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze’ except a vast improvement. The best comparison would be Star Trek, imagine if ‘Into Darkness’ had come out in 1982 and ‘Wrath of Kahn’ was the remake released 2013.

B+ ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ this film was surprisingly enjoyable and the story just flew when the end credits started rolling I had to check my watch. I never expected to like this film; I came to see the train wreck. It was purely a popcorn flick though so don’t looking for anything insightful or reflective here. This is Sci-Fi intended for the ‘Pokémon Go’ crowd, not the ‘Ingress’ crowd although I’m sure they’ll enjoy this break from thinking too. As with all Emmerich films its fun to see which classics they’re ripping off, um I mean homaging in his films. This time around I think he may be borrowing from Anime as I see elements of Robotech (a multigenerational space war) and Star Blazers (an alien invitation to travel across the galaxy for tech to save the Earth) though my knowledge of Anime is very limited so if anyone else sees any other homage’s in ID4.2 let me know.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:38 am 

A few observations about Star Trek Beyond;

The Soundtrack - There seemed to be a hint of Jerry Goldsmith and possibly some James Horner mixed into Michael Giacchino’s work. I definitely liked it, a great balance between nostalgia and new.

Space Station Yorktown – I’m fairly convinced that the creators of ‘Inception’ where hired to design Yorktown.

Sound Effects – Specifically in regards to Yorktown, I think someone borrowed from ILM’s Coruscant’s sound effects files and I’m okay with that.

I often feel guilty when I see a movie for free (thank you TWC & Epix) and I really enjoy it. I’m feeling very guilty right now.

A sign I’ve exposed my wife to too much Sci-Fi

She keeps referring to Krall as evil G’Kar and to Jaylah as white Darth Maul.

She also feels the conflict in Beyond is a reflection of the conflict in Babylon 5, that is order versus chaos. She feels Krall’s group represents the Shadows and the Federation is the Vorlon’s. I agree as well, I do see the elements she speaks of in the film.

The riddle has finally been solved, how does someone other than Kirk get the girl. They write the script themselves. That’s some fine social engineering Scotty I raise my glass to you laddy.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » VOG Network Radio Shows » Critical Myth