Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » And now for something completely different... » Off-Topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:06 pm 

Hi, I'm *points to username* and I'm new to this forum.
I arrived here after downloading the TunedIn App on my phone and finding this WONDERFUL Voice of Geeks Network.

Anyways, I'm a former Accounting major going for Computer Science because I... well... I use computers all the time and I figured that I might as well work on them as well.

I'm not necessarily looking for advice in the realm of should I or should I not major in this because I'm pretty convinced that this should be my career.

What I am looking for is a little help in sustaining such an endeavor.

At the moment, I am looking for part-time to full-time work because I need to be able to fund things (outside of necessities) like certification tests and things of that nature. I, also, need transportation and such.

Even still, I'm determined to make this work and I need some advice on making this work, knowledge that I may not possess or even could fathom.

If you can give me advice or even help mentor me, please reply here.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm 
The Bobby Blackwolf Show

Welcome to VOG! Glad to hear you found us.

Which college are you attending? That determines what type of CS program you'll be getting yourself into.

LIVE Sundays 8PM ET/5PM PT

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm 

What are you going to specialize in for your CS career? "Working on computers" is a desktop support role and doesn't pay much. Going to be a coder? Infosec? DBA? Networking? etc etc etc

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:54 pm 

You went from Accounting to CS? ...Ouch.

I say that because it's just one difficult major to another. I started out as a CS major, but decided that I really hated coding things, so now I'm in ITS for wireless networking and such, which doesn't require extensive code knowledge. :3

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 pm 

Code knowledge helps when trying to spot a problem in a config. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 am 

@BobbyBlackwolf - Hey! I'm sorry I missed your show. I'm still getting acclimated with the podcast schedule...

Nonetheless, I'm at a community college for now so I'm pretty sure that everything I do will be nothing more than introductory courses. But I hope that helps answer the question! :)

@vandalous - Looking into software development and programming. But I'm also trying to stay current so I'm also researching App Development though they don't offer that at my school.

@Auspher - Yeah, I know. ._.

But I did maintain a 3.2-3.7 GPA while I was in Accounting so I'm sure that I can handle the coursework for CS. :D

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:09 pm 
British Invaders

I enjoyed doing my CS degree. It was lots of work, but it was good stuff. I'm now working as a full-time software developer, and I have no real complaints about that.

I think there are fewer development jobs than there used to be. The industry has matured to a point where lots of companies can use out-of-the-box software solutions -- they don't need to develop their own systems. That said, there are still lots of development jobs around. Make sure to keep your options open. You might find that a non-development CS job will be right for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » And now for something completely different... » Off-Topic