Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Anime

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Anime recommendations
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 am 

For those of you out there that are either new to anime or just looking for something new to watch, I have a few suggestions here. Just bear in mind that this is not not meant to be the be all, end all list, & there's bound to be a few omissions or additions that others may disagree with, but hey, it's a starting point. I'm also limiting my list to what I personally have seen, so if I haven't seen it, I won't make a blind recomendation. Bear in mind that my enteries are in no perticular order.

1) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a redux of the Fullmetal Alchemist series, which follows the manga a it more closely (from what I've been told). Overall, a very good series & a must watch.

2) Burst Angel - I'd best describe this series as Charlie's Angels meets Mission: Impossible, with a dash of X Files. While most reviewers have panned this series, I found it to be quite enjoyable & very underrated.

3) Bleach - Yes, veteran anime fans would think that this would be an obvious pick, but it bears mentioning. In short, it's popular for a good reason.

4) Devil May Cry - a short, 12 episode series that's rather underappreciated yet enjoyable. If you enjoy the Devil May Cry games, then definitely watch the anime.

5) Naoki Urasawa's Monster - a 2 season series centered around a promising young doctor on the run & a serial killer. This is a good pick if you wanna check out the horror subgenre.

6) Gunslinger Girl - a 2 season anime (plus 2 OVAs) about a group of young cyborg girls in italy, effectively acting as political hitmen/assassins. I absolutely loved this series & it's a must see.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 pm 

Gurren Lagaan
Hanasaku Iroha
Hyouka*
Kokoro Connect*
Sword Art Online*
Eureka Seven

*=Currently airing

I'd highly recommend Gureen Lagaan and Eureka Seven (especially GL) if you are someone who rarely watched anime. They are very good entry level shows, although E7 is a bit on the long side with 50 eps. Hyouka, Hanasaku Iroha, and kokoro connect are all a bit different sort of shows. Highly recommended if you want something different in anime without fighting.

Sword Art Online's premise is a bunch of people getting trapped in a matrix-style MMORPG. I think that should be enough to get you to check it out.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm 

In no particular order
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Soul Eater
Avatar: The Last Airbender (dont judge me)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 pm 
Anime Jam Session

Haunted Junction
Tenchi Muyo in Love (I love the full series, but this movie is probably the best out of everything.)
Devil May Cry
Hellsing (Starts out based on the manga and then goes off all over the place)
Hellsing Ultimate (Based fully on the manga)
Serial Experiments Lain (Twisted and leaves you going WTF but still awesome)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm 

i have to second giove_dea's Devil May Cry recommendation. Although it's only 12 episodes long & a lot of people like to hate on that series, it's quite good IMHO.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 pm 

I would recommend Azumanga Daoih and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei on top of Soul Eater and FMA Brotherhood.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:14 am 

Lets see, here's a good mix of choices:
Ergo Proxy - I've yet to finish it actually (I get distracted lul), but it's VERY good. Very good story, good art style, it really stands out. I also enjoy the music alot, very dark and moody. This anime is not a cheery one, but a good one.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka/Is this a zombie - Very raunchy and hilarious. I saw the first 4 eps of it at Otakon. Me, my fiance, and our friends loved it. Let's see, we got zombies, necromancers, vampire ninjas, and magical garment girls. Oh, and a magical garment girl zombie. It's on Hulu, I believe (subbed only).

Panty & Stocking - Another raunchy comedy, cept you cant get much more raunchy than Panty & Stocking. It's been awhile since I've watched it (came out in 2010, but came to DVD in NA this year), but if I remember right, each half hour "episode" is actually 2 stories. Beware though, it's VERY VERY VERY raunchy. In the first episode, they fight a giant pile of poop. Demonic poop.

Wolf's Rain - One of the most beautiful animes I've ever watched. The art style, while good, isn't really what makes it so beautiful, as the whole experience. This is one of my all time favourite animes. The music is gorgeous, and very distinctive. This is an anime classic.

http://geistson.deviantart.com/
Wii: 3252 3544 6906 4444
Steam: SilverClaw

Last edited by Sonder on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:49 am 

Tiger & Bunny - Superheroes + Reality TV. Great animation.

I'll second Panty & Stocking. Already one of my all time favorites.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:10 pm 

Darker Than Black - liked this one a lot, great sci-fi'ish series with plenty of conspiracy theories, great characterizations, and neat twists all the way up to the end. Dark, but not broodingly dark, and filled with plenty of action and mystery.

Tiger & Bunny - throwing my vote for this one in with Burr's. It's really good stuff. Fun, vibrant, endearing, and silly at all the same time. Sponsored superheroics! To the leaderboard!

Baccano! - great period piece taking place in the 1930's; bizarre characters all searching for a mysterious elixir; the viewpoint jumps all over the place from one perspective to the next, but altogether, it has quite a few unexpected story twists and bloody endings. Great if you like seeing an anime version of the 1930's without having to play Shadow Hearts: From the New World.

Denno Coil - imagine if Google's virtual glasses went one step further and super-imposed virtual reality on your world allowing you to interact with both at the same time, and you have Denno Coil. It's kind of like They Live!, only the glasses interface with cyberspace as the underlying reality. Most everyone has these glasses in the "near now", but a group of kids have managed to jailbreak theirs to unlock hidden functions and do all sorts of interesting stuff - and reveal a strange mystery in the city at the heart of the global network such as seeing things that they're not meant to see. Great sci-fi take on cyberspace.

Some of what I'll recommend next fall into the classic category, "classic" being "old stuff that no one probably watches anymore" but they're good for a reason.

Slayers - just start with the very first series if you're looking for a slapstick fantasy comedy; doesn't try to be too serious but there is an underlying story arc tying everything together

Scrapped Princess - another medieval flavored fantasy series that really takes off after awhile with a great twist towards the end. Great characters and animation style. Story becomes WTF towards the end in a good way.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - sci-fi action adventure/comedy; is Tylor the ultimate slacker, the luckiest bastard alive, or a subtle genius? I guess he'll find out when he's suddenly given his own ship to captain, a crew of misfits, and told to save the galaxy.

Gallery Fake - for the artsy types out there; the series takes place around a modern-day art dealer who was drummed out of formal art circles over a scandal. Now, he runs his own art gallery that has a shady reputation for selling authentic pieces along with the occasional fake. He's also called on to use his particular knowledge to help with certain cases or to save them from those that have no appreciation of what they are. Also notable for using real-life art pieces as props in its stories.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:37 am 

As a semi on topic side note, keep an eye on your preferred video service (be it iTuns, Zune Marketplace, or PSN). As I've mentioned numerous times before, these services end to give away videos periodically. Occaisionally they are anime episodes. Over the past 2 years or so, I've recieved free episodes of FLCL, FMA, DBZ, amongst others.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Anime