Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » TV & Movies

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm 

Hey guys, if you listened to this week's OLR, you might have heard the Foogle question of the week about the media using video games as a scapegoat pretty much whenever a horrendous tragedy happens. In my answer I mentioned a British TV series that explains the inner goings-on of the TV world.

If you're at all interested in how TV works, how TV news has changed over the years, why the media has an unhealthy obsession over drama and emotions over facts and evidence, or even just fancy a really good laugh at the expense of bad TV, you really need to watch these programmes.

A little bit of background: Charlie Brooker is British television broadcaster and journalist. He first started as a video game journalist, writing in an acerbic and heavily sarcastic style. You know Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation? Well, Charlie Brooker was one of his main inspirations.

Brooker went on to make three new shows for the BBC in his "Wipe" trilogy:
- Screenwipe, "a programme all about television" - in which he reviews (more like rips on) the week's TV offerings, as well as explaining just how shows get made and what people in TV jobs actually do.
- Newswipe, all about TV news and how journalism has changed over the years, as well as presenting the week's current affairs.
- Gameswipe, an hour-long pilot all about video games, and how they've been unfairly portrayed in the media.

I can't stress enough how all three of these series are not only hilarious but also incredibly interesting and eye-opening if you don't know much about how TV and the media works. Yes it's all rather UK-centric, but you'll recognise a lot of the shows talked about, and Charlie does like to talk about US TV a lot too. Thankfully everything Charlie's made in these series, as well as his new series "How TV Ruined Your Life" is available on YouTube, right here: http://www.youtube.com/user/zthemusic

If you watch nothing else, watch this segment made several years ago which is unfortunately still relevant thanks to last week's events: http://youtu.be/PezlFNTGWv4

Hope you guys enjoy these shows as much as I do!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » TV & Movies