Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: PSN game recommendations
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm 

If you are a new PS3 owner looking for good, cheap games to play on your new system, or a veteran owner looking to try something that you may have previously overlooked, then you came to the right forum post! Here I'll give you a list of some excellent PSN titles that you can't go wrong with.

1) Super Stardust HD - This game is a bit of an older title, having come out in 2007. Nonetheless, it's one of my personal favorites that I still play daily. It feels sorta like Asteroids, albeit you play field is orbiting a planet rather than a 2D field. Taking DLC in consideration, there's plenty of modes to play in, both single player & split-screen multiplayer (sorry, no online multiplayer). I personally suggest trying the Endless Mode, present in 1 of the DLC packs.

2) Q*bert - the 1982 classic makesit's presence known on PSN & was 1 of the 1st PSN releases. it's a faithful rerelease of the classic game, with the addition of online leaderboards.

3) Fat Princess - This is basically a class-based strategy/capture-the-flag game. Simple, yet addicting to play.

4) Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers, Magic 2012, & Magic 2013 - Based on the classic CCG. If you love the CCG, then you can't go wrong with these.

5) Crystal Defenders - Basically, a Tower Defense game set in the Final Fantasy universe. If you're a fan of either Final Fantasy and/or tower defense games, this is a good choice.

6) Pixeljunk Monsters - Like Crystal Defenders, this is also a tower defense game & a good buy

7)Lumines Supernova - Based on the popular PSP puzzle game. Unlike the XBLA game, Q Entertainment didn't go batsh*t insane with the DLC as a quick money grab. This time around, it's DLC done right. The gameis fun & addicting, so if you like puzzle games, then give this a try.

8) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - an older title, but a good one. If you enjoyed the original, then you'll like this.

9) flOw & Flower - These are best described as "zen" games & are very unique. They're pretty much the antithesis of Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat, & are basically the videogame equivalent of meditation, hence very relaxing.

10) PSone games - I know, a broad catagory & bit of a cop out,but there's too many good ones to list. If there's any that you may have missed (or a few that you may wanna revisit), you may find it on PSN for $6 to $10

Bear in mind that this list is incomplete, but in time I ill add to this list. Of course, if anyone else has anything to contribute, please feel free to add to this list.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:44 pm 
Orange Lounge Radio

When I look at your list, I have a very "not bad!" reaction, but there is a glaring omission of Journey. Ya got close naming the other thatgamecompany games, but Journey is a must play game in my opinion.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:25 pm 

Also, Dayd came out this week and is getting great reviews

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 pm 

Well, I suppose that those games you guys have listed may very well be excellent games, *BUT* bear in mind that the games that I have already listed so far (& what I will later on in further replies) pretty much follow 2 simple guidelines in order for me to recommend them: 1) I must have them (& no, demos don't count), & 2) obviously must be good (I have a few crappy games that I definitely won't recommend). Of course, if others have bought & played a given game that I haven't & wan't to recommend said game, by all means...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:31 am 

Wipeout HD is a must have on PSN IMO.
Since you mentioned the Pixeljunk monsters...
Shooter 1 & 2 and Side Scroller are also a lot of fun.

Castle Crashers? :) One of my fav downloadable games this gen.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 pm 

I still need to play Journey.

Since they haven't been mentioned I'll also recommend Scott Pilgrim, and Joe Danger. The former is a great beat em up even putting aside the retro love. My only complaint is it doesn't have online multi. Joe Danger is a blast, even if it's a bit like Trials I find it a lot funnier so it doesn't piss me off as much when I fail at it. :p

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 am 

Here are some more recommendations:

1) Gauntlet II - really, does this game even need a description? An old '80s classic co-op dungeon crawler arcade game.

2) Zen Pinball & Pinball Arcade - 2 very different pinball games. Pinball Arcade recreates real world classic tables while Zen Pinball doesn't, rather it goes for the over-the-top stuff. It's kinda akin to Madden vs NFL Blitz

3) Mega Man 9 & 10 - relatively new entries into the series with an 8-bit look/feel.

4) Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online - If you're a fan of fighting games in general or the Tekken series specifically, you can't go wrong with this game.

5) The Simspons Arcade Game - A very faithful recreation of the original game.

6) Comix Zone, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, & Altered Beast - Classic Sega Genesis games. Yes, they're all available on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but even if you have SUGC on disc, it may be worthwhile getting these games from the PSN Store as well for 1 simple reason: they have their own separate trophies, most of which are fairly easy to get.

7) X-Men (arcade game) - like the Simpsons game, this is a very excellent port of a popular retro arcade game.

8) MAG - while not as popular as, say, a Call of Duty game, this is still an excellent FPS that's worth playing.

9) Everyday Shooter - rather unique indie-developed twin-stick shooter.

10) Metal Slug & Samurai Showdown - 2 amazing ports of classic Neo*Geo MVS games.

11)Street Fighter III: Online Edition - if you enjoyed Street Fighter III either in the arcade or on the Dreancast, then this is a no-brainer. The only difference(s) present here are that it's now in HD & has (oblviously) an online multiplayer componenet.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am 

I know it's not a PSN exclusive, but it did finally showed up last year on the system, so I have to recommend Limbo to all. Stick with it. It has a killer ending and is a real challenge throughout.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 am 

Before I add to my list (& as a side note), Flaco_Jones: It's perfectly ok to recommend non-eclusive PSN titles. All I ask when recommending it is that the game is available on PSN, you have/played the full game, & (& your opinion) it's a good game. If you noticed, some of the stuff I recommended in earlier posts have been released on other platforms (either current gen or previous gens).

Now, to continue with my list....

1) Echochrome - an MC Escher inspired puzzle game. An older title, yes, but a good one.

2) Braid - Part platformer, part puzzle game, with a time manipulation element. It also has a very nice watercolor art style to it too.

3) Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer - a side scrolling bullet hell shmup. The "story" is crap, but who plays any game in this genre for the story, anyways?

4) The Walking Dead - A point & Click Adventure game with some Surival Horror elements mixed in. If you're a fan of Survival Horror, P&C Adventure games, Anything by Telltale Games, or The Walking Dead comics and/or TV show, then this should be a no-brainer.

5) Plants vs Zombies - another Tower Defense game. As the name suggests, your "towers" happen to be plants, which must protect you against oncoming waves of zombies.

6) Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Technically, it's not 1 single game. Rather, it's a 5-part "season" of games. Being a Telltale Games' game, it's a Point & Click Adventure game, featuring a psychotic rabbit thingamabob & an anamorphic dog, which both happen to be cops. There's a good deal of witty dialogue in this game, along with puns & dick jokes.

7) Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic - If you were to take Team America & combine that with a Bruce Lee movie, then shove that into Super Smash Brothers, then you get this game.

8) Wolfenstein 3D - C'mon.... do you *REALLY* want me to tell you what this game is?

9) Marvel vs Capcom 2 - Yes, the 3rd entry to the series is out 'n' all, but still, you can't go wrong with this one though.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm 
Critical Myth

Even as someone with zero interest in zombies (they bore me to tears), I loved the two existing episodes of The Walking Dead. Just really good storytelling! (Not only that, but all the trophies are accumulated as part of the game, no retreading, so when all is said and done, you automatically get that Platinum!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games