Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:58 pm 

Hey all,

I made this post last year and it got a lot of good feedback on it so I am doing it again.

To sum it up: A few years ago I got inspired to keep track of the games I completed after reading an article of someone who did the same. I've treated it as somewhat of internal case study of my gaming throughout the year. I did this to learn more about my self. The results were pretty interesting and was fun to do during the whole process.

So the way I did this was that I kept a text file on my computers desktop and jotted down each game I managed to complete throughout 2015. Whenever I completed a game I wrote down the title. This year I also wrote down when I started the game so I could learn from how long it took my to finish it.

So without further ado here is my list of completed games of 2015:

South Park: The Stick of Truth - PC - (Started 1/1) Completed: 1/8

Pokemon Y 3ds - (Started Jan 15') Completed Story mode: 3/4

Borderlands 2 - (Started in 2013 but restarted 1/8/15) Completed: 3/27

The Walking Dead Season 2 - (Started 3/28) Completed: 4/6

Guacamelee Gold Edition - (Started 5/7) Completed: 5/18

Rollers of the Realm - (Started 3/4) Completed: 12/19

WWE2k15 (100% unlocks) - (Started 11/29) Completed: 12/10

--------

What I learned:

- So yeah I completed only 7 games in 2015. In 2014 I completed 14 games. The reason being? From what I can tell it was mostly due to too much real life stuff going on for me in 2015.

- Moving to a new place (mid year) resulted in me having a much shorter commute to work, which in turn resulted in me playing fewer handheld games this year. I found myself unable to play RPG's on my shorter commute to work because it was hard for me to progress in the shorter time. I turned to casual puzzle or mobile games like Pokemon Shuffle and Fallout Shelter to kill time on the train.

- I found myself revisiting a lot of old games I haven't beaten or I'm still working on doing every possible thing (Like Skyrim).

- My Xbox 360 broke. The video card or the display port completely died and I didn't attempt to get a new one because of limited money

- Played sports game: Which don't really have an ending to them per-se

- Games that I really enjoyed I played through them quickly and didn't deviate from them. The games that took me more time to complete were ones that were longer or more difficult, which resulted in me stepping away from them more often than not.

So for 2016 I would like to challenge folks of the VOG community again to make a list of games that you completed for yourself. This isn't a "Who can complete the most games e-peen" type of challenge but more so a personal challenge to yourself. Keep track of games that you're playing in 2016 and update your list whenever you complete a game. You might learn some interesting things about yourself in the process.

Feel free to also post completed games of 2015 and any thoughts about your year of gaming as well.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:15 pm 

off of my backloggery (backloggery.com definitely very helpful for tracking this stuff!)

Hyrule Warriors
Metroid (Virtual Console Wii U)
Need For Speed Carbon (PS2) I did kinda cheat but as I've learned recently is that really such a big deal? I did legit finish the Wii version though (as well as the 360 Collector's Edition) and it's about a decade old anyway. :P
Megaman 1-3 (Steam, off of the Legacy Collection)

Pretty sure I got more than I finished, and I did get a new laptop in February or so, so I was able to resume La-Mulana and I've gotten back into it in recent weeks making some progress, so that just might be my first one this year!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 am 

Great Idea!

My list is also a bit slim this year. These are the games I considered finished (or finished enough) for 2015

Splatoon - Beat story mode and then cleared all amiibo challenges. Also at level 45, just 5 from the cap and have ranked up as high as A rank.

Until Dawn - Have beat the game twice now, working on a third and really shooting for a platinum trophy.

Tearaway Unfolded - Played through and beat the game once, working on a second time with the other character.

Jackbox Party Pack 2 - Played every game in the pack and almost finished Bomb Corp if not for a game breaking bug near the end that still isn't fixed.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Completed the story, though couldn't find all trophies.

Mario Party 10 - Played every game mode and every mini game and all but one amiibo board because I don't have Luigi.

Tetris (Vita) - Beat Marathon mode and sprint mode, unlocking all the other extra modes in the game

Rocket League - finished the basic and advanced tutorials and ranked up to Pro in online play.

Games I didn't finish in 2015

Batman: Arkham Knight - Hated the Batmobile levels, so that really killed my buzz for this game, but who knows, I may get back into it someday.

Mortal Kombat X - Dabbled with it, never played the story really, but then unlocked every fatality via gamefaqs so at least I got to see all that.

Roundabout - Just started it on the new years weekend and it's amazing enough that it may supplant Rocket League as my 3rd favorite game of 2015 once I finish it.

Yoshi's Wooly World - Another great game that I really need to finish, and I will.

Five Night's at Freddy's 4 - I played it, but I am so terrible at these games I only made it through the first couple nights, though my issue was the sound problem a lot of people had those first days the game was out that's since been fixed, I just never got back into it. Besides I already watched it all on YouTube.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can remember, so I'll leave it at that.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 am 
Critical Myth

Games finished in 2015:

The Wolf Among Us - PSV - (100% completion - Platinum!) - 10 Jan
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - PS4 - (100% completion - 90% trophies) - 22 Jan
Assassin's Creed Unity - PS4 - (51% completion - 71% trophies) - 09 Apr
The Order: 1886 - (story completion - 40% trophies) - 12 Apr
Tales from the Borderlands - PS4 - (100% completion - Platinum!) - 28 Nov
Game of Thrones - PS4 - (100% completion - Platinum!) - 29 Nov

Games started but unfinished in 2015:

Batman: Arkham Knight - the Batmobile element made it hard for me to get into this, but I intend to go back and resume at some point
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - this one just got away from me, but I will pick it back up in 2016
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD - not sure why this just dropped off the radar, since I was enjoying the heck out of it!
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster - I left off at a tricky spot which I just need incentive to go back to tackle
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - I'm never going to get 100% completion but I stopped so close to the end, I need to finish!
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - I've been playing the hell out of this, but didn't have time to finish before the end of the year...!

The biggest obstacle to finishing games this year was just plain real-world stuff, which left me a bit more unfocused in the latter half of 2015 than I think I've ever been. Meanwhile, the slate of shows we are covering on The Critical Myth Show is much higher than in the past, due to the explosion of genre content, and that has taken some priority. I've also been highly engaged in some online role-playing since September that is "gaming" of a different sort, but makes it hard to play games at the same time...;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » The VOG Lifestyle » Video Games